Monday, April 26, 2010

County Music Half Marathon Wrap Up.

Mother Nature decided to throw a temper tantrum worthy of a two year old.

The day started out great. I was ready to run, mentally and physically I was ready to do my best. Things went well we got to LP Field early used the porta potty with out much of a wait, got right onto a bus and headed to Centennial Park. Got to the park my feet and my legs were tight so once we found a spot of grass I got help getting them stretched out.

Made sure to pick up water and a bottle of the electrolyte substance called Cytomax. Honestly it's like drinking a cup of syrup. I did drink it during the course of the race because I know I was going to get dehydrated.

We had changed corrals from 32 to 28 so Hubby and Cari and I could all start together even if we didn't stay together. It seemed like FOREVER for our corral to get started. It was just over 30 minutes before they cut us loose to run. The sea of people in front of us was just amazing.

I kept my self in check and thought I was starting out slow. Looked down and at one point I was on a 15 minute pace, way to fast to start. So I kicked it down a gear I really wanted to run in the last 4 miles of the race. The Belmont area of the race was great we got to see Leon's parents and a friend from church at water stop 4. I still have not found the right sock to shoe ratio. You would think 4 races would give me some clue as to what to wear. More on that in the next post.

Stopped and got some blister pads not sure if they really helped or not, the medic at the aid station couldn't tell me either. Moved on and the heat was starting to kick my tail a bit. So I made sure to drink and pour water at each fluid stop.

The never ending residential loop kicked my tail. For some reason between mile 4 and 8 I just seem to lose focus but once I passed that mile 8 marker my determination over road what my body was trying to do. Mile 8 thru 10 was nice, the weather cooled a bit and we got some rain. My core temperature finally started to cool off and everything was starting to work together.

Then the race official drove up next to me and told me that they were closing the course and as soon as she had passed me, I would have to get in the van or risk being on the course with no race support. I was mad as a hornet. I trained for this race. This was the carrot that started all of this. I wasn't going to get in the van. I crossed the mats at mile 10 and kept running. She pulled next to me again and said the weather was getting really bad and I needed to get in. Common Sense kicked in and I realized that I needed to get in. Of course I was so mad I was crying. Then I realize that they didn't make the group of hula hoop walkers get off the course. This was after our van driver took the longest route back to the stadium, so long in fact that I could have stayed on the course and still been to the finish line before our van got there. A bunch of us finally made him stop and let us out. We got out and rejoined and got to cross the finish line. They prorated our times and that gave us an "official finish" but it feels very empty and some how makes getting the hardware empty as well.

Hubby and Cari were able to finish all 13.1 miles and I'm so very proud of them for doing so. Both had limited training, Leon due to his broken leg and Cari due to having a new baby.

I know there will be other races, in fact I have a 5k to run May 1st and than the Women's Running Magazine Nashville 1/2 Marathon in September. There will also be more added to that list as the weeks come.

FCR

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that your race got cut short.

    You are still an inspiration to me.

    I have a 5K on May 5 for Cinco de Mayo. It will be my first of 2010 and I am worried I won't finish.

    On my way out for a training run which is usually 30 minutes.

    Wish me luck on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I'll be thinking about it where are you running at? Is is anywhere near Nashville? Tell you what. I'll make sure my training run is a 5k Wednesday if you let me know the time I'll try to schedule my run at the same time that way you have someone running with you!

    L.

    ReplyDelete