Monday, September 27, 2010

Women's Half Marathon Re-Cap

Wow were to start...

I've been staring at the post for several days now. Not slacking, just not sure how to put into words all the emotions and experiences of the day.

First off let me take a moment to send my regards to Lynn Manzelmann's family and those that personally knew her. Lynn collapsed at the finish line and was sent to the hospital, she passed away Sunday morning of a heart attack caused by a 90% blockage. She will be greatly missed by all those that knew her, ran with her or cheered her on Saturday the 25th. She was an inspiration to many. May those lives that she touched remember the impact she made on them and pay it forward.


My race was a struggle. It was a tough race, I knew the course was going to be up hill for the first half, and I expected the last half to be mostly down hill. That was NOT the case. Oh it did go down, up and down that is. Besides who's bright idea was it to finish coming off Korean Vets Bridge?

As I told many of you I only wanted to run this race for the finishers medal. It was the first one I've seen where it comes in two parts so you can wear the charm where ever you go. I like that part. I did not really train hard for this race and it showed. I was really strong time wise for the first 8.5 miles then the swelling in my feet and the irritation of the sock weave was getting to me. I was still doing okay. I met two other runners and stayed with them till about mile 9 then I fell behind.

Usually at this point I stop sweating, something I'm working on hydration wise, I make sure to drink twice at each water stop. If there is gatorade and water I take one of each. I just could not get enough fluids and my hands were swelling really bad. I knew dehydration was kicking in and I needed to get some of the fluids out of my hands so I got some salt and that seemed to help.

Around mile 10 my body stopped taking in fluids every time I put something in my mouth it came right back out not much just the little sips I was taking, but I KNEW I had to finish. I wasn't dizzy or light headed I knew where I was and what was going on so I keep going. The medic from Vandy was there on his bike making sure that I was okay.

As I came around the river side of Titans Stadium I knew that I had to finish but wasn't sure my body was going to be able to. I slowed way down and took inventory from the toes up. My feet hurt, my knees were okay but my calves and quads were starting to hurt. My lower back and shoulders were a bit sore and my hands were swelling and my knuckles were starting to bruise from the swelling.

Sitting here now and writing this recap I know I should have stopped I could have pushed my body way past the limit but I remember just feeling this drive to keep going, that one more step and I was closer than before. After inventory I tried to drink some more gatorade from the pace truck that was following me. It was different than what they had been serving on the course so it did not go over well at all so I kept drinking water. The course monitor that starting walking with me at the last water stop was nice enough to hold it for me.

I made it to the foot of the KV's Bridge and started the final ascent the last hill the last obstacle in my way and took it one step at a time and made it over, than the right turn at the bottom and the final left turn. I was just hoping not to fall flat on my face. Then I heard the announcer letting everyone know the last official runner had just turned the corner, and he was calling for everyone hanging around to form two lines to cheer me in. I teared up at that. See in my first half marathon the only people left at the end were the guys at the timing mat and my husband, the crowds had moved on. This was incredible the announcer was still there, the camera's were still there and the massage therapist were there as well as the Swiftwick bike team that paced me the last 4 miles making sure I was hydrating and doing okay. I in a split second knew I could not just walk it in, no matter how sore and tired and done my body was I had to pull together what little bit I had left and I had to run it in. I had to run across those mats because those people cared that I was still out there plugging along making my way to the finish.

So my third half marathon ended with me running the final block and a half and crossing the mats giving high fives to those at the finish line that came to cheer me in.

I will always remember every race I run but this race will always stick with me. It wasn't my first it won't be my last but it will be the race that I found out how far I could push my body and how far I could go and how little pain really matters when you cross those mats.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for completing! Your blog has truly inspired me to keep with it. Korean Vets Bridge was the meanest trick ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great...now I'm crying at work...just read your blog & am boo-hooing like a baby (& I am not a cryer)! lol I'll be following your blog from now on - you inspire me (and lots of others!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the finish! That took real character :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne. I met you at the medic's tent after the race. Thanks for spending time talking with me. I really am proud of you for finishing. As I read your description of the race, it reminded me of my own journey. Like you, I hadn't trained as well for this race as I should have and somehow that Cincinnati had the lock on hills. OMG. My calf cramps started at mile 5. I really wanted to quit, although I was able to maintain an 18mm pace until about mile 7. The big hill leading to mile 8 was my downfall and just getting to the finish was enough. I, too, walked simply for the bling. No shame in that. If nothing else, this makes me feel more motivated to keep plugging away at the strength training and walking. Keep it up! Maybe we'll see each other at another race soon! Your new running friend-Debi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your blog and your message. First, good for you. That race was my first half marathon and I have worn my medal all week. Everyone in town knows what I did last Saturday, and I am so proud of myself and everyone else who did it.
    Keep it up. I'm going to, too. Turn 56 next week and know I have to--not giving myself a choice. My prayers are with Lynn's family, too.
    Thanks for the inspiration...

    ReplyDelete