Tuesday, December 7, 2010

St. Jude's Memphis 1/2 Marathon

Some of you know from facebook that I had some issues.

Had a great pre race pasta dinner with Cari and her family, Bob, his wife and K'Leetha. Felt really good about the next day. Not stressed that I could tell. Made sure that I drank plenty of water the night before and morning of. I wanted to make sure that I was hydrated and didn't have any problems with hands swelling and knuckles being black and blue this time.

Got up that morning nice and early so that we would have time to get to the parking lot close to the start/finish, and make sure we had the gear we needed, and to meet up with Bob and K that morning. We somehow missed them.

It was nice that we could place ourselves in a corral, we chose a bit of a faster pace than either of us run so that we would have time to get settled in before our actual pace group left.

Cari and I hugged and wished each other luck with our own races. And headed out.

Surprisingly I stayed with the main pack for about 5 miles. I was finding out that I needed to stop at the water stops and use the facilities more often but that gave me cause to pick up the pace and keep up with the pack. I felt really good other than that. at about mile 7 to 7.5 I was still doing okay I was at about 2 to 2.5 hours which I was happy with at mile 9 that would put me at about 3 hours with gas left to knock out the last 4 miles at a decent clip. That's when things fell off track.

I stopped just past mile 8 to adjust my laces due to swelling, this is a normal stop for me nothing new, then headed into the park. About mile 7 I picked up a friend to run with. Extremely lucky I did.

I don't remember much about running through Overton Park but I do remember coming out the other side and looking for directions on where to go next because all the race signs and such were gone. At about mile 10 I remember sitting down because everything was really wavy and getting dark around the edges.

The next thing I remember is waking up in an emergency runners transport truck with no idea how I got there from the point I sat down. Talk about terrified. The EMT's got me to the field hospital and check vitals and such, gave me a banana and asked me again where I was who I was and such. When they first go to the truck I was still hazy on what had happen and how I got back to Autozone Park.

Needless to say I did not finish this race. I am still hazy about parts of the final two miles I did complete. I remember music and smelling bread.

After talking to a friend in the medical field it sounds as if I my electrolytes were all messed up, the banana helped.

I guess as Bob said when I ran into him and K after they had finished it was a good day for a training run.

I am more upset about passing/blacking out than I am about not finishing. Because it means that I'm not doing something right. I'm going to spend the next couple of days working out just what I need to do to hydrate my body and keep my electrolytes in balance as well as finish strong.

I'm looking forward to the Frostbite 5k, The Fangtastick 5k and possibly Tom King again. I and rededicating myself to proper training and not slacking off by only doing the bare minimum miles. I am going to work on those first 8 miles, and push past that mile 8 wall.

FCR

One More Step
One More Mile
One More Finish

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you were okay and had someone that could help you!

    ReplyDelete