Saturday, December 5, 2009

Week One

Week one wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. After spending Monday and Tuesday pounding out er actually walking really fast for an hour each day I woke up Wednesday morning sore. My arches and toes really hurt. I was having problems with my right foot especially, which was really no surprise considering it really never healed properly when I broke 4 of the 5 metatarsals at age 12. So I took two rest days. I could not see the sense in pushing too hard so early.

I spent quite a bit of time researching training for half marathons. Most of what I found was for running the 13.1 miles. I was a bit discouraged about that. I wanted solid advice about speed walking. I didn't think my knees would be up to the ground pounding pace of running. Aside from the fact I've never really been a runner.

In Jr. High and High School I belonged to the back of the pack. The walkers. Though when I played tennis my freshman year of high school I chased down every ball that ever can out of the ball machine just so I didn't have to do laps. Coach Green could be ruthless.

So as a surprise to my self and many of my friends I've starting focusing on running the marathon, not just walking fast.

I'm excited. The more hours and miles that I clock and keep track of the more I find myself pushing harder running just a few seconds longer. I do not think I have ever been more determined to do something in my life.

I have fallen in love with the endorphin rush I get when I see how far I have gone, or how long I have been able to sustain a fast pace.

I feel so much better. I sleep better and naturally we have been eating better.

Things to focus on for week two:

Hydrate-keep track of what goes in

Time- Increase time to 1 hour and 10 minutes

Distance-3 miles a day by the end of the week

Pace-Run for as long as I can then run/walk in 30 second intervals

Motivation-Find and post a picture of the finish of the Marathon in front of the treadmill to keep me focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment