Wednesday, March 17, 2010

16th Annual Gupton Dodge Tom King Classic

This adventure began the night before that race at the pasta dinner that included guest speaker Gary Cohen. He is a 2:22:34 marathoner. He talked about preparing to run and that something is going to go wrong so just be prepared incase. Hubby and I even got a chance to talk with him after and I got to share my story with him. He was very nice and answered any and all questions that were asked not just by us but by everyone in attendance.

Wow what a day. I was so relaxed and ready to just enjoy this run. It stated with the chance to cheer on and encourage those running the 5k. So many people have cheered for me that it was really nice to "pay it forward". It also had the effect of pumping me up for the race.

The Nashville Striders are such a fun group of people and really know how to host a race. They had an added option for the slower runners to start 30 minutes early. I wavered back and forth about the start and decided the morning of the race to take the extra thirty minutes. I was thankful that I did.

It was nice to hit the route and work out the kinks that seem to plague me in the first mile of running with out hindering the "Big Dogs" . I was surprise with my consistency of pace for the first 6.5 miles. I stayed between 15 and 19 minutes a mile. For my weight and training I was right about where I needed to be. This race was a practice for the Country Music Half Marathon and to see how my body would react to 13.1 miles.

I really enjoyed the run until about mile 8 my body started to tell me that it was done... I was not okay with that. I think it was the thought of showing up next week with out the finishing medal. I love the accountability of the group.

Six months ago I got winded going up and down the three flights of stairs to our apartment, now I power up them to get a bit of cardio in. Leon knows when I come in breathless that I've done my stair work. To think back in January I was huffing and puffing at two loops in the park. Each week brought it's challenges then I got race happy, I like the way I feel when I'm done it's so addicting and if I'm going to be addicted to something it should be healthy.

I took the early start with Emily and her friend, so glad I did by the way. I made it to mile 3 before the guy in the wheelchair slipped by. From mile 3 on I fell into a grove where the breathing and running and the body all come together. It was awesome. I felt invincible. The thundering herds got to me on the bouncing bridge and made me a bit sick to my stomach.... Forget the foamy brown water where was the warning about the bridge huh?

I love that you all look for me during the race both on your way out and then on your way back. Was it just me or after mile marker 6 was the turnaround forever away?

The turnaround was not too bad. Then mile 8 hit and the my ITB starting hurting for the first time. Again so glad that I've got HRC and knew what to do. The medic taped me up and I was off again. I didn't stop running till about mile 9 boy did I find a wall. By that time they were starting to pack up and go home. I finally made it out of Shelby bottoms followed by the EMTs that kept asking if I wanted a ride. No thank you I said 4 times I'm finishing this on my own power. The Metro officers were awesome each one I passed clapped and cheered for me.

Being ex law enforcement I remembered why I love the thin blue line. The I got to one officer in a Jeep like vehicle around mile 10 I was so done the tears started flowing and I was reconsidering that ride I turned down. He pulled up next to me and said "Don't you dare stop" he did this at every cross street zooming past me to meet me at the next one. Then I hit mile 12 and cried all the way to the stadium, I didn't know which way to go and there was a woman that
stopped asked if I was okay and said yes I just hurt my body was done she went with me all the way to the attendant. He walked me down the ramp EMTs saw my wrap that was now down below me knee and asked if I was okay...I said yup almost there... At the end of the tunnel was my Leon. He walked around the field and over the chip mats with me. Then I tried to pass out but for some reason they wouldn't let me.

I missed the group that was waiting for me and I'm sorry that I did.

Charlene and Leslie and Heidi I am so glad that you challenged me to do this race. I did something today I have never done before. I did not quit and did not give up. Mind over body is an amazing thing.

Charlene you told me when I said I blamed you and Leslie for the challenge that I accepted in doing this race that you would take the blame at the starting line and it would be all me at the finish. Each of those last 4 miles I thought about how each and everyone one of you have touched my life and training and are there to teach me what my body is capable of.

I take the blame for the finish but I share it all with you. For you cheers, your encouragement, your example and yes Bob even for the GU.

2 comments:

  1. Grats on completing the race. Your tale is an inspiring and motivational one. Keep charging ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn this is beautiful!! Your an inspiration girl! I am so glad you found the stregnth to finish! (its emily mcdonald for now but changed i on this already)

    ReplyDelete