Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Using iPhone applications to race and train with

I have two different running applications on my iPhone. The each have similar functions. They both track my total time, pace, and create a GPS generated map of my run, log my miles and email each training session to me.

The two applications are Runmeter and RunKeeper. I really wish I could merge the best of these applications so that I can do everything from one app and not have to switch back and forth.

I use Runmeter during races because I do not worry about interval timing while competing. I also like the fact that it has a function that will auto tweet my status using either a time or distance trigger.

During Tom King it was really nice especially when I was the last one on the course it gave my husband the ability to see exactly where I was, which gave him comfort,with the included link he could see my progress via an interactive map link.

Runmeter also has an announcement function that allows you to set up an auto annoucement using either time or distance. You can have the announcement tell you your average, calories, climb, clock, competitor (distance), Competitor (time), your distance, elevation, fastest pace/speed, from best time, from best distance, from median distance and time, from worst distance and time, pace/speed, remaining distance, remaining time, stopped time, and then just plain old time.

I only want to know my time, distance, average and pace/speed. As I grow into more intense running and competing I will want to know some of the included items. The other item I really like about Runmeter is that if you consistently run a set course it will keep track of how well you do, letting you know if each consecutive run was better, the same or worse then the last time you ran the route.

I am not happy with how long the application takes to start up, and it does not have a programable interval timer. If I want to listen to music while I run I have to start up the iPod application first then open Runmeter.

I use RunKeeper to train with due to the fact that I can create several different training programs and tailor the interval time as well as the pace. It will auto announce the next interval and at what pace you determine to run that interval. The customization is a really nice touch. You get a choice of GPS or manual entry, the activity type, the playlist you want to use and which training program you want to use.

My dislikes for this application is the lack of a decent activities grouping or calendar function, and this application does not have an auto tweet function.

My ultimate running application would include the calendar function of Runmeter, and the auto tweets, and the category organization of the workouts by day, week, month, year.

The biggest dislike I have with both applications is that they are both battery drainers.

The only down side to using your iPhone in racing is that some events do not allow the use of headphones hence the market for wearable wrist GPS units. Those will do intervals, keep track of your route and time and pace, as well as heart rate, alas they do not play music.

The best advice I have been given about GPS units it to look on ebay and craigslist to find used units.

For now all is well in the FCR household, HALH is now fully returned to work today was his first day back. The dog keeps walking around the house trying to find him and looking at me like I'm hiding his body or something.

We starting training together again this past Saturday and he is going to continue training and attempt to complete the Country Music Half Marathon.

Till Later,
FCR and Hubs.

2 comments:

  1. iSportsTracker should be in the list as well. It runs 5-6 hours if I lock the iPhone and has a lot of export features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only included the two applications that I have used. I can not review a product I have not used but thank you for the suggestion.

    FCR

    ReplyDelete