Friday, March 5, 2010

Updates and Challenges.

I've been lax in updating here at DOAFCR. Things are going well. I've been able to maintain the weight loss and have improved my long run mileage if not my speed. Last Saturday was a long slow day for me. Due to a re-surfacing of an old injury. I was only able to walk 7.5 miles. Yes I said only, never thought in a million years I would have said "Only 7.5 miles" my time for just walking was not too bad either 2hrs 45mins. If I was still planning on walking the half marathon I would be on walking pace. My goal is to run both half marathons at either 3/1 or 4/1 intervals.

I had a car wreck in January of 2009 that caused a torsion injury of the spine and neck. I went to a chiropractor soon after but really did not like the doctor or the office I was going to. I visited other chiropractors as well but none of them seem to quite fit.

Last Friday I tried out a new doctor (Thanks Ash) and love the office staff, the atmosphere, and the doctor.

I have always been totally on board with healing with out medication if possible.

I had been having major headaches bordering on migraine level pain. I was out running errands and had taken the dog with me. Now mind you Sadie is only 8lbs not very big. I had taken her in to the office of one of the stops I had to make and picked her up and turned and that's when I for lack of a better word locked up. My entire left side was in pain, I could not look to the left and was even having trouble turning my body to the left.

The new chiropractor is just around the corner from our house so that makes it very convenient. He listens to me and then assesses my needs. The first visit he took an x-ray of my neck and then told me it was a mess.

He is always concerned with how I'm doing running and if the treatment is helping. I am sure of it.

Just 24 hours till the GoodNaz 5k. After a pre race visit with the new chiropractor I am going to get my long run in for the week. It is a back down week and only 6 miles.

This journey is amazing. I find new milestones almost every day. The phone calls, and emails and support from friends and family and the members of the Hendersonville Running Club have been amazing. I would not be where I am with out all of you.

This habit is still becoming a lifestyle. There are still days I dread going out in the cold to run, then I look in the mirror and see just how big my clothes are compared to how they should actually fit, and I go change in to the running stuff and lace up and head out the door.

The hardest part still is the lacing up and heading out, which I need to do now. I promise an after race update before the weekend is over.

Till next time dear friends and readers.

FCR

PS. HALH is now walking with out crutches and big black ortho boot today he is going to try to go all day in the lace up brace! One more step closer to full recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment